Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Watermelon Agua Fresca

 This weekend at the festival my mother-in-law got a refreshing Agua Fresca ("fresh water") drink from one of the vendors.  After describing it to me, I was inspired to try to make one at home.  It was soooo yummy, y'all!


This super versatile recipe can be made with many different fruits...cantaloupe, melon, mango, strawberry, pineapple, and even cucumber.  It's a fun way to have a healthy "special" drink, if you know what I mean.

I've finally started making conscientious changes in the food I eat (it was one of my new year's resolutions), which entails drinking less wine and beer.  Having this drink feels like such a treat on a warm evening!

domestiCate's Agua Fresca
(makes 4 drinks)

1/2 of a small seedless watermelon, cubed
1 cup of water
2 limes, juiced
6-8 mint leaves
pinch of salt
Agave syrup to taste

Blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.  For a smooth consistency, strain through a fine mesh strainer.  Serve over ice.

I skipped the strainer, and it was fine for me.  Extra fiber!  I also added the Agave before I tasted it, and realized it would have been sweet enough without it.

For some fun variations substitute the water with coconut milk.  Or add a splash of soda water at the end.

Fresh, healthy and delicious!

I'm linking up to Serenity Now...

Weekend Bloggy Reading

Subscribe here or like me on Facebook to keep up with dC.

2 comments:

  1. This looks soo good, Cate! I was wondering, if you wanted to make this drink extra "special", do you think it would be good with vodka or tequila? Saturday night I have a dinner club party and our theme is tapas. This drink sounds like it'd be perfect.

    Thanks!
    Catie

    * I pinned this. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catie! You will LOVE this for your party, and I think it would be absolutely delicious with vodka, tequila, or even rum. Tequila might be the perfect earthy contrast to that sweet watermelon. Maybe you could leave the salt out of the drink, and rim the glasses? I'm so glad you stopped by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...