Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Perfect Table: Found

Our kitchen.  I have a love/hate relationship with it.  Which is why I've not really posted about it before.  Though, this week I found a steal of a deal that's bringing me closer to lovin it (spoiler alert:  it's a table!  hang in there while I set up the story).

See, we live in a 60s ranch, and the kitchen is original.  Some of the appliances were replaced at some point.  The limited cabinets and the appliances are in an L shape.  Until we can afford to overhaul the whole thing (including opening it up to the adjacent dining room, Oh I have plans!), we're making do, spending as little money as possible on it.  Last year, desperate for more storage I made some shelves for the blank wall from some extra plywood Frank had lying around.

DSC_0012 - 2012-05-14 at 14-35-49

And for more counter space I set up an old folding work table as a peninsula coming from those shelves.

DSC_0010 - 2012-05-14 at 14-34-35

It was standard table height, so Frank made these "stilts" to bring it up to counter height.

DSC_0018 - 2012-05-14 at 14-59-47

And I sewed a table skirt to hide them.  I velcroed it directly to the table (I chose almond colored sticky velcro for the table and black non-stick for the skirt itself, so I could sew it on).

DSC_0016 - 2012-05-14 at 14-55-39

You can see it became a convenient place to hide junk!  This system worked for a while, but the kitchen felt cluttered, and the "island" top also became a catch-all for miscellaneous stuff, and we didn't use the stools very often. (We ate most of our meals in the dining room.)

DSC_0014 - 2012-05-14 at 14-36-41

I'm sure the kitchen was designed to have a table in this space, but it seemed silly to me to have a table in here, when we have a perfectly good one on the other side of that wall in the dining room.  I mean, how many dining tables do three people need?

But, when I spotted this beauty at our Habitat ReStore, I fell in love.

DSC_0058 - 2012-05-15 at 16-39-45

Is it mid century modern?  Danish modern?  I don't know, but it just feels right here.  It is so sturdy, and the chairs are very comfortable.  It was marked at $70, but they were offering 20% off of furniture, so I spent $56!  There are just three chairs, but it's perfect for us, with EB in her Keekaroo chair.

DSC_0059 - 2012-05-15 at 16-39-58

I have big plans to paint it a bright, happy color and reupholster the cushions. 

DSC_0067 - 2012-05-15 at 16-42-28

It feels so much more open now.

DSC_0056 - 2012-05-15 at 16-39-36

We've been eating meals in here, and I'm loving it! 

I'm linking up today to Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality.

southern hospitality

Subscribe here or like me on Facebook to keep up with dC.

9 comments:

  1. OH I LOVE IT! Yes I am shouting! I could call that danish modern. The lines are a bit too extreme for MCM.... but I really have no idea! Just my guess! Either way it is perfect! Great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a deal! Tables/chairs like that easily cost $250+. Cute reupholstery could be so great. I kind of like the wood as is... it looks pretty bright to me, but do what you want ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Good thought, Jen. I may start with the upholstery and live with it before I paint. It would be a big job. The wood is pretty beat-up in places, but maybe it will grow on me.

      Delete
  3. $56?! What a crazy, crazy steal! I LOVE it. I love the wood too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wood just as it is and think painting it is something you will regret. It's truly beautiful and it looks just right in that spot. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the other commenters about the wood...just lovely! And the wood on these old sets was usually really high quality. It would probably be worth refinishing someday. Just beautiful, and such a steal at $56!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! You've convinced me to leave the wood! I have been having fun searching out fabric for the seats, though. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're leaving the wood also. It works so well with Elsie's chair; and the white seat cushions pop with all the white items on your white shelves. Give yourself a break and enjoy it as is for a year... then decide.

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...