Oh, there's just nothing like it! There's much debate among julep enthusiasts regarding the proper way to concoct one. I found a method that's simple and it works for me.
First, get yourself some fresh mint. We grow a bunch in our backyard for this reason only.
I grabbed a few hand fulls, stripped the leaves, then rinsed them well. We're going to make a mint simple syrup. Combine one part water to one part granulated sugar in a pot (1 cup of each works well).
Heat the mixture over medium-high heat, just until the sugar dissolves. Then toss in your mint leaves.
Use a potato masher or a muddler or the back of a big spoon to gently bruise the leaves against the bottom of the pot. You don't want to break them down, just bruise them enough to release the oil and flavor.
Let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes, then strain it into a container. (Can you see us in the reflection of the pot below? Frank had to help me get a shot of this step. Thanks, babe!)
Now, keep the syrup in the fridge for a few hours so it cools down. One of the keys to a great mint julep is making sure the ingredients are really cold. As a fatter of fact, go ahead and put your bourbon or whisky in the fridge or freezer at this point.
Once everything is nice and frosty, gather your ingredients. It's quite simple from here.
Bourbon or whiskey, mint for garnish, your mint simple syrup, and crushed ice. I crush the ice in a plastic bag with a meat tenderizer. Of course you can use any glass your heart desires, but we happen to have one lonely mint julep cup. They're made of pewter and are designed so you can hold the cup at the top or bottom rim, keeping the heat of your hand away from the cold drink.
Fill your cup with ice, then pour in your desired amount of bourbon. Top it off with the simple syrup, stir it up, and garnish with the mint sprig. (You'll have to play around with the proportions to find the perfect mix for you. Traditionally these are very strong drinks, with maybe 4-5 parts bourbon to one part syrup. When we've served these to guests, some have found them too sweet or too strong. Adding a splash of soda water helps mellow things out.)
It's traditional to use a straw, cut about an inch above the top of your glass. When you drink from the straw, you get a whiff of that fresh mint, right below your nose.
If the liquid is cold enough, a frost will form on the outside of the pewter cup.
True confession? I like to keep the syrup in the fridge this time of year. It's super easy to mix one of these up on a warm evening. Give it a shot, and let me know what you think! Cheers!
Linking up:

Subscribe here or like me on Facebook to keep up with dC.

Oh the memories! Your dad and I went to the Derby twice just after you were born. Mint juleps were a whopping $3.00 each back in 1980-81! They certainly are a refreshing spring drink on a hot day of horse races - or any races!
ReplyDeleteMom
Too funny...$3! Wonder what they cost now. I did hear about a special $1000 one they offer for a fundraiser. It's made with the best of the best (including ice from France) and you get to keep the commemorative silver plated cup and sterling silver straw. Crazy!
DeleteYum! These sound perfect for a hot summer day!
ReplyDeleteThey are! And I'll be enjoying them all summer...no need to reserve them for Derby day only!
Deletesounds delicious! I've never had one but I love fresh mint, I think I'd love them!
ReplyDeleteOh, give it a shot. And if bourbon isn't your fave, add the syrup to vodka or rum or even soda water!
DeleteOH MY GOSH I can't wait to try this!!! Pinned and on the "must do immediately" list!
ReplyDeleteHaha! They are divine! Enjoy!
Deleteparty foul, it has to be bourbon in a mint julep and that's coming from a guy who has a soft spot for some crown...
ReplyDeleteHaha! Good point. They're close enough to me, that I just use whatever's around in the bourbon/whiskey category. I'm not picky!
DeleteFeatured you!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.makinglemonadeblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/refresh-your-nest-fabulous-features.html