Monday, January 23, 2012

Our Porch...so far

As I mentioned in our Home Goals post, our major project this year is to finish up the porch.  We've been working on it for over a year (and by "we" I mean Frank).  Slowly but surely, he's been plugging along on weekends and holidays, weather permitting.  I wanted to give you guys a little background on how it all has progressed so far and some inspiration images of where I'd like it to end up.  Like this lovely spot...
source
When we moved in five years ago (! where did that time go!?), our backyard boasted a cement patio and an oddly shaped "garden" including an old stump.

And here we are today:
A few years ago Frank dug up the stump, we redesigned the garden area, and included a raised garden for veggies in the summer.  Last year Frank started on the porch.





The new porch roof prompted the replacement of our entire roof, which he and some friends did this summer.  That was a huge, time consuming job.


 So, here we are now:




 The bulk of the porch work is done, but there are lots of little details left to do.
- seal, grout, then seal again the tile floors
- install 2 porch doors
- build the railings
- cover the columns with finish wood
- build a small platform and stairs to the yard
- install the finish boards on the ceiling
- install electrical/lighting
- paint it all
- screen it in
- furnish and decorate  (my favorite part!)
- finish the bottom of the porch with lattice or some slats or something (including a small door for access) 
- landscape along the perimeter

I've sketched up a little visual of the finished space as I see it.  Seating area on the left, dining area on the right.

Of course, I've been pinning like crazy since the work has been underway, thinking through how we can best use the space, and envisioning bright, happy colors and soft deep seating.  Personally, my number one wish is to have a space to nap.  I would love a big daybed that would also function as a sofa.  There are some amazing hanging bed photos floating around, which are just dreamy.

[All inspiration images can be found here.]



But, as much as I like to rearrange furniture, a simple day bed is a safer bet.

Another priority is a big dining table.  I imagine us having having meals out here often.

Extra chairs for big gatherings will be hung nearby.

And the ceiling simply must be painted haint blue. 


The railings will be white, and the door frames black.

I have a project in mind, similar to these mason jar lights.  They'll be strung around the rafters.

And I have this beautiful vintage bicycle that is much nicer to look at than it is to ride.  I see it hanging against the house, in the peak of the ceiling, with a basket overflowing with trailing plants.  I couldn't find a picture of that.  Maybe mine will be the first!

The steps down to the yard will be strewn with pots.

I can just feel the warms breeze,

hear the laughter of friends,

taste the cool crisp wine,

smell the freshly cut grass,

and see those fireflies flickering.

Y'all come on over when we're done!  Do you have any suggestions or ideas for a comfy, functional porch?  Is there something I'm missing that you think we'd like?  Any thoughts on weather proofing a mattress or cushion for the day bed?  I'd love to hear any thoughts.  

Linking to: Chatty Chics    

Are you catchin' what I'm throwin'? Liking what you see? Don't miss a thing...Join This Site above!

7 comments:

  1. One of the midwives' husband I work with has a company that makes the swinging beds...let me know if that's an idea you are really thinking about and I'll send the contact info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds beautiful!! The ideas you're combining are perfect and I don't think you've missed a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a project! This is going to be so beautiful. Cant wait to see the rest of the process and the finished product! Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress! I'd love to have a covered porch like yours. A day bed would be perfect for this space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your inspiration! I have a new back porch as well and ready to decorate it when it is spring! We still have lots to do though too, like screen it in but, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It's coming along! Love the inspiration photos! Keep us posted! Thanks for linking up Cate!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...