Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY One-Line-a-Day Journal

This weekend I put together a little journal that will last me 12 years.  It's adorable and classic, and I'm so pleased with how it came out!  Let me explain...

 Have you guys seen these journal cards?
source

source
The idea is that each card represents a date of the year, and every day you jot a sentence or two about that day on the card.  You continue this for several years, with the same cards.  So in a few years, as you journal on a particular date, i.e. January 16, you'd see memories from that same day over the last few years.  I just ADORE the idea of recalling quick snapshots of previous years, as you're "journaling."  Plus, limiting myself to only one line each day is much more realistic and attainable than feeling like I have to chronicle every little detail of our days.

So, I was thinking about how adorable these cards are, but how I really don't like the idea of having another "thing" out on our counter or shelves, catching dust.  And  how well would they keep for years and years to come?  I wondered if I could apply the same concept to a traditional journal, that would be smaller, more archival, and more portable.

I stopped by Barnes and Noble to check out the journal selection.

Wouldn't you know, there were two journals on the shelf based on the same idea. 
The pages were formatted like so:
They were OK, but I had a vision of a more homemade, more eclectic journal.  I knew I wanted something classic, sturdy and well made, that will last for years and years.  I considered this one:
But settled on this one.  It cost about $18.
In my job as a camp registrar I used a date stamper, and I knew I wanted to use the same for this project.  So, I stopped by our little local office supply store.
And for less than $4 I got the stamp.

First, I counted out the pages I would need for each month.  I knew it would be important to plan well, since the stamp ink would be impossible to remove if I made a mistake.  This journal had 95 sheets.  I determined that two days would have to be on each side of each sheet, giving 12 lines (and perhaps 12 years) to each day.  This left only one extra page in the back.
{Update:  In hindsight, I wish I had left the extra page in the front.  It would be a nice place to kind of frame each year, with a short synopsis of where we live, children, pets, major events going on, etc.  You may want to consider this if you make one of your own. }
I practiced stamping to get a feel for it.  This gold ink pad was leftover from another project.  It's acid free, so the ink should last a long time, without damaging the paper.
I also pulled out these little letter stamps to create a "title page" for the journal. 


So, I stamped away, and carefully marked each date.  It took a while (a couple of hours?).   Many of the stamps are not perfectly printed, and I like it that way.  The homemade look is what makes it endearing and special.
 Since we were already half-way into January, I looked back at my calendar and blog to come up with a line for each day that's passed.   Of course, you want to start each entry with the year.  I wrote "2012" on January 1st, but continued with simply " '12 ."
I love the gilded edges of this journal.

 The months with an odd number of days left an entire page for the last day of the month.  This might be nice to add extra details or notable events. 

Lately I've been too tuckered out to journal about the day.  I feel compelled to document everything, which leads me to procrastinate and not actually journal at all.  I'm hoping this will prompt me to take just a few seconds to jot my favorite memory of the day...Elsie's milestones, exciting steps toward my future career, fun family outings, or thoughtful moments. 

Hopefully I'll be back in future years updating you to the progress.  It's not too late for you to start one of your own!  Let me know if you do!

I'm linking to Chatty Chics and Making Lemonade.

Are you catchin' what I'm throwin'? Liking what you see? Don't miss a thing...Join This Site above!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Cate! I have so enjoyed "stopping by" your blog. I feel like I've stopped by for a cup of tea and a chat! This is such a wonderful idea and I think I'm going to run out in just a bit to gather the supplies and make a journal myself. If I do (I am a procrastinator at heart) I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marci! I'm so glad you've been visiting! Do keep me posted on your journal.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started my keel's simple journal a few weeks ago and I love it! http://www.simplediary.com/

    I also journal to Thad while he's gone - sappy, i know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My uncle has been doing this for years (although in a simple spiral notebook). It is neat when someone asks a simple question and Uncle Joe slips away to his notebook and says "after we went to Virginia that day Hannah came to visit, etc".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link~ I think this is so pretty - can't wait to see these in 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Cate this is adorable!! I'm stopping by from the Creative Kristi class. It's so great to meet you and your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this idea. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing. What a great idea. I need to get me that stamp! I hope you keep it up. Also this is an awesome gift idea... I am pinning this for next Christmas! Thanks! I am stopping by from Creative Kristi Class too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING. This must have taken quite a bit of time to make, but it will be PRICELESS. Thanks for linking to Refresh Your Nest Friday and hope to see you back there tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...