Friday, January 6, 2012

Bakers on Vacation

A while ago we stopped buying sliced bread at the grocery store.  This bakery in our little town makes the most scrumptious bread, for about the same price.  They also offer scones, brioche, and other delectable European pastries.  Getting bread here means I have to make an extra stop, but I love that we're getting all natural, whole ingredients and supporting local economy. 

I swung by the bakery yesterday to pick up a loaf, and this is what I saw.
Hmmm.  Apparently they're closed until next week.  Fair enough...they need a holiday break, too!

Well, we have one other bakery in town, Blue Ridge Bakery.  They sell more American style sweets, like cakes and cupcakes, brownies, cookies, etc.  I didn't know if they sell bread, but it's just a few blocks down the road, so I gave it a shot.
I guess the bakers here bank on everyone resolving to cut out white sugar and flour in the new year, and see it as their shot to get out of dodge.

So, I came home and decided to whip up a batch of bread myself.



I challenge you to name a smell better than fresh baked bread.  It just fills the whole house with warmth and goodness.  I don't bake bread often, but have found the recipe that came with our Cuisinart to be delicious.  And the food processor really makes it easy.  Should you decide to bake your own bread, my advice would be to set out a bit of extra butter when you start the process.  By the time the bread is out of the oven and cooled a bit, you'll want that butter to smooth easily over that soft bread.  Mmmm.

This morning I toasted up a big slice and slathered it with butter and apricot jam.  Divine.


 Perhaps I'll just make my own bread from now on.


Are you catchin' what I'm throwin'? Liking what you see? Don't miss a thing...Join This Site above!

4 comments:

  1. WE have started making our own bread too! Its cheaper, we know what's in it, and the bonus that the house smells good. We use our kitchen aid to mix it up in and it works really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Hannah. Let me know if you have any good recipes. I'd like to try out different flours and sweeteners (honey, molasses, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade bread really is the best! Super impressed that you went home and MADE some of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from California.

    I am Your Newest Follower.

    I invite you to visit My Blog

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...