Friday, January 27, 2012

Empty Frames Gallery Wall

[Hello wonderful readers!  The fact that you're reading this is a great thing....I just switched to a new URL, and am hoping the switch was made thoroughly.  Now, instead of domesticate.blogspot.com, my URL is theycallmedomesticate.com.  Please email me or leave a comment if you notice any glitches or problems.  If you subscribe via RSS or email, would you let me know you've received this OK?  Thanks!]  

Today I'm having lunch with a new friend.  She owns a local design firm, and I can't wait to sit down with her and pick her brain.  She commuted to WCU later in life to get her design degree (like I'm planning to do).   And, she's super sweet and charming.  Should be fun!

Onto today's topic...I mentioned on Wednesday the $1 frame I picked up while thrifting.  It was part of a project to spruce up the corner we look at the most.

I've touched on our awkward living room layout before.  Here's another glimpse at the floor plan for you spacial/visual peeps like me.

Today we're focusing on that bottom right corner where the TV is.  At first I tried having an armoire there, but it was just too big and bulky, and had to be set on an angle....all of which I didn't like.

A few months ago we passed the armoire on to a friend and purchased this cabinet and a wall-mount bracket for the TV.  I've been collecting empty gilded frames at various thrift stores lately, and this weekend I came up with an open frame gallery corner.
It offers so much more personality and depth, and the bonus?  It allows for two small seats.  (FYI the chairs are high on my list to paint and reupholster.)  In the pic above the TV is angled out so we can view it best from the couch.  Here it is flush against the wall.
I had been collecting frames with no specific intent, until I came across that huge one surrounding the TV.  It's about 24x36" and is almost proportionate to the TV.  The TV's silver sheen contrasting against the gold frames bugs me a bit.  I can't quite figure out how to rectify that.



 I just eyeballed the placement of the frames, then used a level to hammer two nails for each to sit on. By placing the nails a few inches in from corners of the frames, I can slide the frames to the left or right a bit to perfect the placement. 








I thought about filling the frames with pretty fabric or paper.  I could easily wrap that around foam core, and just pop it in each frame.  But, I like the openness.  I think it might be too busy if the frames were filled.  Though, perhaps it would help detract the eye from the TV when it's not on.  What do you guys think? 



Weekend Bloggy Reading


Making Lemonade

Are you catchin' what I'm throwin'? Liking what you see? Don't miss a thing...subscribe here or like me on Facebook.






17 comments:

  1. First... Yay for the transition! I read blogs via my dashboard and google friend connect and I was able to find it perfectly! Love the new domain name! B... I LOVE the open frames! It is the perfect way to camouflage the tv with out putting it in a cabinet! I also like how it is tucked in a corner and on a arm... away if you don't want to see it and moved if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! I would keep it as is, I agree that filling the frames could make it too busy. Great idea and a fun way to disguise the tv a little and decorate the wall behind it which is so tricky to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed that encouragement...I'll leave the frames open. Thanks for stopping by Teresa!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't chance a *single thing.* It looks fantastic!! PS I subscribe to you via Google Reader and it worked great for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love empty frames and your tv looks great with the ornate gold frame around it. You might keep adding to your collection and put smaller empty frames inside larger ones. You can also put small objects like keys, numbers, etc. inside and change them out as your mood changes. Can't wait to see your chairs!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I'll keep my eye out for more small frames. I love the oval one, and will look for more.

      Delete
  5. I wonder, if you could mix up a gold-ish color with acrylic paints (or whatever color you'd like), then add water to thin it. maybe use a small bit of cloth (or a brush) to brush the color on to modify the silver color of your TV's border. Test it on the left side on a small spot (that won't show). My background in art tells me this may very well be easy to remove with water later... but try it first. (It may stain the silver) The color wash would correct the silver look, but not make it a matte hard change. It would be sort of like a white-wash, or what my mom used to call "antiquing" it. Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great solution for the tv and reused frames! I love your tv cabinet, I was just thinking of card catalogs yesterday and how they can be added to a room design! Great Idea!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cabinet is so handy! It's the perfect size for all of our components, and the drawer fronts are actually two large doors hiding a big storage area for DVDs and such.

      Delete
  7. Hi Cate!

    I found your blog through the Serenity Now link party. Love the open frames!!! (and the cabinet - score!!)....its the exact same project I have planned for over a couch in my son's playroom! As a suggestion, maybe if you spraypainted a few of these frames gloss black and one or two in grey (or use silver rub and buff) I think that would tie in the black of the tv when it is off, as well as the silver of the TV housing. There is a great inspirational picture at 'living with lindsey' blog at http://livingwithlindsay.com/2012/01/how-to-layered-frame-gallery-wall.html
    where she painted some frames grey (to tie in the wall color) , some blue (to tie in a turquoise lamp) and some yellow (to tie in a dresser). It looks fantastic! She used a black glaze on all the frames to tie them all together. Your frames have lots of great detail which would pick up the graze really well. I think you are doing a fantastic job with that corner!! Please stop by my blog and say hi!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes - i almost forgot to ask you: Could you pleeeeease tell us how your meeting with your design firm friend went today???!!!! I have been debating getting an education in design as well...something I have been thinking a lot about - but havent't been able to jump into it yet!! I think you should go for it! Sounds like it's "in your blood"!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for my frame wall. It's a work in progress, like everything else in my house!
      Lunch with the design friend was great. She's an accredited designer and a big advocate for getting the education...being a designer rather than a "decorator." Apparently there's legislation in 12 states preventing folks from calling themselves a designer if they're not educated and accredited. Who knew?
      Anyway, I thirst for the knowledge and want to know as much as I can about the history of design and the logistics of running a business and sourcing and organizing and presenting and all that comes with being a designer. It'll be a slow process, since my priority is spending most of my time at home with the babe, but it will come eventually.

      Delete
  9. I love this idea! By wrapping the corner with the frames it visually makes the corner "disappear"! I also love that the tv can swivel so that you can view it when necessary and then be placed back when not in use. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...