Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A New Life for an Old Favorite


Welcome Creative Kristi Readers!  I'm so humbled to be mentioned on such a fabulous blog.  I'd love it if you'd leave a comment and tell me a bit about yourself.  I'm new to the blogging world and am itchin' to make some bloggie friends.  Shout out if you're a new blogger, too!

When Frank and I got married, my mom gave us her mother's china.   It's a dainty blue floral pattern, and it's delicate and lovely and a bit feminine.

I like to use it on occasion, and when I do, I try to be very careful with it.  But, a few months ago when I was moving some things around in our china cabinet, I dropped a small demitasse cup on the floor.
It broke into several pieces, and I was so disappointed!  My father-in-law offered to carefully glue it back together, but I knew it certainly wouldn't look the same, and may not hold liquid.  I saved the pieces in a plastic bag, and after thinking on it a while, I came up with an idea.  See, my mom adored this china.  It was what they used on special occasions throughout her childhood.  I knew I wanted to make something for her.
By using the broken pieces to make a frame, she could enjoy seeing the pretty delicate blue flowers daily, as they frame a cute photo.

I picked up a cheap frame at Michaels.  I think it cost about $4.
First I took the glass and backing out of the frame and laid out my broken china.  The cup had only broken into three or four big pieces, so I used pliers to break it into smaller chunks.
 I played around with the lay-out.  There were some features of the cup that I wanted to translate to the frame, and was careful to place certain pieces in a way that would highlight those features.  For instance, the cups had a few tiny flowers on the inside of the rim, so I placed a piece showing those flowers so it was concave (you'll see this in a pic farther down).   I also wanted the manufacturer's stamp to be visible.

The delicate rim of the cups are painted with a thin blue stripe, so I placed pieces of that rim along the outside of the frame when I could, so the stripe would be visible.  I also wanted to keep the handle in tact. 
I moved the pieces around until I was happy with the layout, then I glued them down.

The Weld-Bond worked great.  I picked it up at Michaels, too.  I had used the superglue to piece the manufacturer's stamp piece back together when it broke into too many pieces.  I wanted it to be as seamless as possible, so the stamp would be legible.

The glue had to set for 24 hours, so the next night I picked up where I had left off.   We had some grout on-hand for tiling on the porch addition, so I mixed up a little batch.  
 It was the consistency of loose clay, I'd say.  It's important to remember, I was just wingin' all of this.  There could very well be a better way to get this project done, but this worked for me!

I smushed the ground into all of the crevices and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
 Then I went in with a damp cloth and carefully wiped away the grout that was covering pieces.  This took a bit of trial and error.  From what I understand, if you were to be grouting square tiles, you could swipe the damp cloth at a 45 degree angle to the grout lines to easily wipe away the excess.  Because these pieces were all different shapes, sizes, angles and heights, I had to be a bit more careful.  

This shot gives you a glimpse of that concave piece and the first layer of uneven grout.

After I'd wiped a good bit away, I let it sit for another 24 hours.  The next night I came back and repeated the grouting process, hoping I'd be able to even the grout out a bit.  This is what it looked like just after I thickly applied the grout.
 After 20-30 minutes, once the grout had set a little, I came back in, this time with q-tips, to remove excess.  I would dip the q-tip in water, and this allowed me to be very careful in where and how much grout was removed. It's important to keep your q-tip or cloth damp, pretty wet, really. 



The grout dried a lighter color, and ended up looking like this.
I could have sealed it, but since it won't get wet or suffer any wear and tear, I just left it.

Of course I printed a picture of our favorite little one and assembled the frame.  Here's how it turned out:
Mom really seemed to love the gift.  When she opened it, I don't think she realized that the frame was anything special (that cute pic had her attention).  But, after a moment she recognized that familiar blue flower.  It's bittersweet to lose a precious piece of family china, but I'm so happy to have given it new life. 
Another fun project would be to simply glue and grout the pieces onto a square or rectangle backing, and frame it without glass.  Or, you could make coasters or a trivet.  Lots of possibilities.

Have you guys up-cycled a broken treasure?   I'd love to hear about it!

I'm linking to






Creative Kristi Designs

5 comments:

  1. FABULOUS! I just love this. A few years ago I was living in Richmond VA when the first earthquake hit. I lost two saucers, but I wasn't smart enough to make use of those treasures at the time. Wish I had been a little more artistic then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate, you are so clever. What a wonderful use of the broken pieces. A real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just so sweet, and very clever! Would love for you to link up @ Find Your Craft Friday over on my blog... Have a great Friday!

    Emily @ BabyBerry
    http://weinzapfelbabyberry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that you were the feature in this week's Workin On It Wednesday Linky Party! Thanks for linking up and supporting!
    -Kristi

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...