Elsie is going to be pulling up and walking in the near future, I do believe. I've known people to nix their coffee table completely when their babes reach this stage, or to place big foam pads on the corners and edges of their furniture. I can't quite bring myself to do that, but I did decide to temporarily replace our coffee table with an upholstered piece. For a while I kept my eye out for something inexpensive and unique.
I picked up this unfinished bench from a consignment shop in Asheville. It seemed to fit the bill, and I liked the details.
Here it is, upside down. This was the first time I thought to take a photo of it (when I'd already started to paint it). The frame seemed to have been primed in white, and the jute straps were in place.
I tightened the straps, then cleaned all of the nooks and crannies. I sprayed the whole thing in an oil rubbed bronze. Typically I paint furniture white, but I knew this would sit against our dark couch, and I didn't want it to look too stark.
I added 2" foam and two layers of batting, stapling all of the way around.
For the fabric, I wanted a dark color to hide stains, and I chose this blue chenille.
Check out my cute helpers!
My stapling job was less than stellar, so it took two rows of gimp to cover it. A little hot glue got the job done.
Whew, that's lookin pretty rough at this point! But, it's all OK since my masterplan is to have a washable slipcover.
Stay tuned for the finished product! (Click here for Part Two) Here's a sneak peak:








No comments:
Post a Comment
I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.