I've shown y'all our Christmas Tree and our Advent Wreath, but I wanted to share some other little seasonal touches around the house. Much like our tree, these have been collected over many years, and each have special meaning. In our foyer, the paperwhites are in full bloom!
These were a gift from my dad and his wife, and we have so enjoyed them. The scent is intoxicating! I nestled a few "dead" christmas lights around a pillar candle inside a short vase for a fun holiday touch.
I like the way the light glows through the bulbs. A few years ago I framed a bunch of holiday photos, and I switch them out with other year-round photos during the holidays. Here are a couple of little ones.
This little snowman bowl holds keys. It's fun to replace everyday items around the house with seasonal stuff. I just pack the everyday stuff in the empty Christmas tubs during the holidays.
Each time the front door opens, these old brass bells jingle. They remind me of the tintinnabulum from my childhood church (dozens of bells were tied to the processional cross).
This delicate little figure hangs from a twig mobile. It's from Frank's childhood and I just love the way the stars sparkle and shine.
In our living room, the tree is bursting with gifts! Frank and I are keeping it simple, and just exchanging something very simple and inexpensive with each other. But, we have received several packages from friends and family and are giving gifts to others. Elsie B will have an abundant Christmas!
The adorable felt goat adorns a gift from my mom. What a cute addition for future trees! I picked up two delicate little wreaths at a precious store in New Bern last year. They are perfect for our two Ikea units in the living room.
Here are some more bulbs nestled around candles. I can't bear to throw them away once they burn out, so I save them to use in crafts and decor.
This little Saint Nick came from Mud Dabbers Pottery Shop here in town. Isn't he precious!?
My mom made us new stockings this year. She felted several old wool sweaters and sewed them into unique stockings. We embellished them together, and I made tags to label them. This way we can switch stockings over the years, and as our family grows. I wish I had taken pics of the process...that would have been a great post. Oh well. I'm still getting used to this blogging thing!
Isn't she creative!?
The carolers are singing proudly. Mom passed these down to me a few years ago, and I love the details and their little faces.
The candles on the wreath have burned down a bit. I gave you a peak of Mary, Joseph, and Baby J on the Oatmeal Cookie Post. Here they are again.
I'm not sure why I'm getting those reflections of the candle lights at the bottom of the photo. Oh, how I wish I knew more about my new camera! I think the lens or filter may be causing this. Hmmmm.
The card bowl is filling!
And, finally a few details in the back of the house. In the guest bath is this precious little creche, another gift from Dad and Jayne.
I was pregnant last year, and after the holidays I collected some items to put together a little tree for the future nursery. I picked up a small white tree, lights, and some ornaments on sale, and last week I put it all together.
The animals are actually from the mobile that hung above my crib when I was a baby. Mom turned them into ornaments years ago, and this tree is the perfect place for them! There's also a tiny doll-sized tea set from my childhood used as ornaments. The tree skirt is a scarf.
Elsie seems to love it!
There are the reflections again! Here's another adorable set from Mud Dabber's.
And, lastly, a fresh batch of cookies. This recipe is from Two Peas & Their Pod. I made them last year, and they're to die for!
I'm working on our NYC post, and can't believe how many photos there are! I'll try to get it up in the next few days. It's hard to believe Christmas is only a couple of days away.


































How nice to put a small tree in your little one's room. One of my friends, Elaine, put a tree in each of her two daughters' rooms. They loved the effort and it became a yearly tradition. What better way to create and carry on a family tradition.
ReplyDelete