For those of you who haven't been here, I thought I'd start a little tour, room by room. It's a 1960s ranch right in the heart of downtown Brevard. Everything is "in progress," since I'm constantly moving things around and painting walls.
Today we'll look at the foyer, one of my favorite spaces here.
I love the big double doors. We only use one regularly, but it's so nice on a warm fall day to open them both wide. The slatted screen doors keep the bugs out.
We were lucky enough to inherit a bunch of framed art from my Grandmother and Mom, and have picked up a few other pieces along the way. I rounded up all of the smallish ones with goldish frames to hang in here.
I picked up the little task light at the Pottery Barn Outlet in Gaffney, SC. The candle is probably my all-time favorite, and a definite splurge, Kobo Portuguese Olive Blossom. It manages to smell fresh and clean, but in a spicy, earthy, natural way. The vase is, of course Missoni at Target, and one of the last things on the shelves when I managed to get to Target 3 days after the launch.
This vintage Carolina rug was passed down to my husband, along with a pillow you'll soon see. Generations of his family are serious UNC fans (as most of them attended the school, but neither Frank nor I did).
The middle painting above was done by my Grandmother. She was quite the artist. It's of Ocracoke Island, NC, one of my favorite little spots.
I made the bench out of a side table I found at our Habitat ReStore. It was the perfect size for the spot. I upholstered it in a coffee sack I picked up at the roaster's here in town.
The small violin above was done by my uncle (brother of said Mom, son of said Grandmother). I've got some artistic genes! The Brian Andreas print at the bottom is a favorite. "There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other and to eat each other's cooking and to say it was good." Well, I'll be darned if that isn't a metaphor for this lil blog.











No comments:
Post a Comment
I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.