Once all of the items are collected, volunteers sort through it all, then package it up into gift baskets. Children at the Boys and Girls Club then get to "shop" and choose two of the baskets or bags to give to their primary caregivers. Typically this is their parents or grandparents. I think this is such a fabulous idea...to give the children the gift of giving. They are able to show appreciation and gratitude for their caregivers by giving a nice gift. For many, this is the first time they've experienced this kind of giving.
I helped out at the church early last week sorting through the donations. I was assigned the candles and picture frames table. I just organized it all and sorted through it all, to make it ready for assembly the following day. Other volunteers did the same for spa items, kitchen items, books, DVDs, jewelry, accessories, and more. There were so many donations!
The big event was held after school on Friday. I arrived to see 8 or 10 tables packed with overflowing baskets and bags. A whole assembly line was set up for wrapping and tagging the gifts once they had been chosen.
Y'all, I could not get over the abundance of these gifts! Each basket or bag held 4-6 gifts. This one had a make-up bag, a cute porcupine figurine, a book, scarf, and jewelry.
This woven suede purse held a hand-sewn travel bag, kitchen cups, jewelry and gloves.
A puzzle, candle holder, candle, note cards, jewelry, and a nice pen. I was overwhelmed by the abundance of the gifts.
The children arrived by grade level, starting with the little Kindergartners.
As the children shopped, volunteers discreetly refilled the tables with more baskets. Each child had hundreds to choose from. About 300 children came through, so there were over 600 baskets!
That bag is almost as big as she is!:
Check out that loot!
This was such a great experience. I got the fun job. I know there were many many hours put in behind the scenes, organizing and preparing for this day. It's been a while since I volunteered for anything, and I'm so glad I did. These children seemed genuinely grateful.












Cate, I'm loving this blog! I read it every time you post. I did want to point out-- and feel free to ignore this, of course!-- that there are definitely some legal aspects involved with posting pics of other people's kids. (As I'm sure you know from GV). Just a thought! Can't wait to see you guys on Tuesday. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jess! You're right...better safe than sorry. See you soon!
ReplyDelete