Yes, that's Homer, sharing a table with my Grandparent's vintage Holiday recipe and cocktail books.
Once the season ends, I used to reluctantly toss the cards out, not knowing what else do do with them. But, over the past few years I found myself saving them and wanting to look back through them.
After all, some families put a lot of effort into the card by staging a special photo, hiring a photographer, or writing a detailed account of their year. I even have a great aunt who hand paints each card. At the very least, they bought a pack of cards on sale after the holiday last year, stored them in their attic for a year, hauled them out, signed their name, wrote out our address and stuck a 42cent stamp on one. So, to honor the effort we all make to send them out, I came up with a way to save them and keep them organized. I simply punch a hole in the corner of each one, and string them on a ribbon, along with a tag to label the year. It's a fun little decoration, and we can easily thumb through old cards and reminisce.
This is a great way to wrangle the mass of cards, but "archiving" our own cards is another story. Frank's Mom has 5 brothers and sisters, and when they were children each year their parents set up a little theme for the family photo. Most of the time it was only the children pictured. Cathie recently gathered them all in one large frame.
Some of the themes include a nativity scene, gathered around the fire, dressed as a church choir, on Santa's lap, and my personal favorite, visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads. See them all snuggled up under the covers?
Each page is just an open pocket, so we can pull out the cards to look more closely or see the backs.
So, as far as planning and ordering our own cards, here are some things I keep in mind:
- I make sure to include the year on the card so that we (and anyone else who happens to save it) will always have that reference
- As much as I don't want to be in the photo myself, I think it's important for Frank and I to be included. I enjoy seeing whole families in other's cards, and I doubt I'm the only one who appreciates that. Plus, if we do it at Christmas, we're guaranteed to have a picture of our whole family (pets included) at least once each year.
- I try to include a sentence or two about memorable events from the year. This didn't happen this year, but with a new baby I figure most people know what we've been up to.
- I shop around for deals. Every printing site offers discounts this time of year. I get emails and promotional discounts from shutterfly.com, tinyprints.com and minted.com, so I compare to see where I'll get the best deal. This year it was shutterfly, hands down. They let me combine several discounts, plus they print the back of the card for free. I could choose from photo lay-outs, text, or both for no additional charge. This is a great place to add that sentence about the year, or a top 10 list, or a haiku to sum up the year's events.
I played around a bit on the computer to perfect the shot. I use Aperture to edit photos, so I cropped, then added the Toy Camera action to intensify the colors and add a vignette effect (the darkness around the edges) for the final pic:
I also did a little photo shoot of my own. I was inspired by this great pic on Pinterest:
| source |
and did a few test shots with Bear while the Bean napped.
I know so much less than I would like to know about my new camera. But, I just played around with the settings until I liked what I saw. It was a cloudy day, and I had very little natural light. I was anxious to give this a try, though.
When she woke, I stripped her down (there was a crib pad under those white sheets, and it came in handy!) and I set her down.
But, with a little tweaking and editing on the computer, I ended up with shots like this:
Again I cropped, used Toy Camera, and I also lightened up her face with the Dodge tool.
When the Christmas lights began to warm up, I threw in some plastic ornaments for her to grab.
I'm pretty pleased with the way they came out! I didn't get any big smiles, but still got some nice shots. I would love to be able to smooth out the wrinkles in those sheets in the background, but Aperture won't let me do it (as far as I know, anyway).
Here's the final product this year:
![]() |
| (front) |
![]() |
| (back) |
So, that's how we "do" Christmas Cards. Do you guys save old cards? Do the family photo, or just kids? Does anyone use the self-timer? We did that last year, and it took about twice as many photos to get a good one.

















The photos from the colored lights shoot on your bed are adorable. And I love the way you group the Christmas cards from each year with a colorful ribbon. I have always saved my favorite cards (probably 4 to 8 cards a year). I love looking through them each year. They include those staged shots of all the kids in a different setting and those wonderful letters folks spend a lot of time on. One of my best friends, Carol P, writes a thematic message each year; some themes include (and I'm looking through my stack from years past):
ReplyDelete'Spaces', 'Landscapes', Discoveries', 'Homecoming', 'Margins',... really cool!
Your family photo cards are just adorable. Even your Homer Santa is as cute as can be. This was a great suggestion re' how to keep and even display past year's cards. You are so creative--a real inspiration.
ReplyDeleteWe save all of the photo cards and put them in an album, and the other cards we cut the picture off on the front and then use them as gift tags the following year. I love the photo shoot of Elsie! Nathaniel looks at your card every day and says Cate, Frank, baby, woof, meow prrrrr!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are the best! I can just picture Nathaniel now!
ReplyDeleteYour cards are so so sweet! I am the same way...love receiving cards from friends and family and always reluctant to get rid of them. Love your idea of saving them!
ReplyDeletehi Cate! So nice to meet you, I love your blog name!! What a wonderful idea to save all the xmas cards together! Your family card is wonderful and your photo shoot looks so sweet and was so creative of you.
ReplyDeleteI wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
joan
p.s. thank you so much for leaving your "calling card!" Your comment about comments made me smile:) I read on another blog where someone wrote "I blog for comments" and once you have a blog you find out how important and motivational they are to keep you going! Welcome to blogland!
Cate I absolutely love this blog! It's so nice to keep up with you and your creativity this way. Often we get so caught up in our own worlds and we don't really know what others are doing. I love it! Keep 'em coming. xoxo
ReplyDeleteI love your idea of saving the cards each year, I am going to try that this year! I am really enjoying your blog, you have such great ideas :-)
ReplyDeleteHope you all are doing well and that you all have a Merry Christmas!
You guys are too sweet! Thanks for the encouragement!
ReplyDelete