As I mentioned last week, Frank celebrated a birthday on Thursday. You know I love to cook, so I prepared a special meal for us. Frank's favorite protein is duck, though we rarely have it. Earlier this year I searched for a good duck recipe and found this one by Bobby Flay. I made it then, and we both loved it. Frank even said it was his favorite meal I had ever cooked for him. I marked it as a keeper! Do you guys mark your recipes? It's so handy to jot a note about when you made it and if there was anything fun going on, or a guest at the table.
Duck is a bit hard to find around here, but I picked some up at Greenlife in Asheville, and the rest of the stuff is pretty readily available at your local grocery. I'll highlight some of the steps, then list the full recipe at the bottom.
There are several components to the meal: The duck, the pear sauce, the pear relish, and the potato cakes. And I added a simple spinach salad. You'll want to go ahead and boil a couple of potatoes and mash them up. Have them refrigerated and ready to use for the potato cakes. You can do this a day or two ahead of time.
A few hours before you're planning on sitting down to the meal, start with the Pear Sauce. You'll saute some onions, then pour in a little red wine.
In a separate pot I thawed 8 cups of chicken stock. Since we keep it frozen, it was necessary for me to thaw it and warm it, but if you're using boxed or canned stock, you could use it at room temp without heating it.
While these were heating, I peeled, cored, and cut up three pears for the sauce. The sauce will be strained, so I just cut them into big quarters.
Once the wine in the onions has reduced to about half, add in the other ingredients. The recipe calls for New Mexican Red Chiles. I wasn't able to find those 'round here. I googled and didn't find much info, either. I ended up picking up these dried Ancho chiles. They worked well, and brought a medium level of heat to the sauce. I really don't know if Bobby intends for the chiles to be dried or fresh, whole or diced, or what. But, this worked for me.
Toss all of this, along with the chicken stock, into the pot with the onions and wine. Oh, the recipe calls for star anise. Frank's not a huge anise fan, so I just left it out.
It needs to reduce by half again, which will take a while, depending on how wide the mouth of your pot is. I started around 5pm and at a rolling boil it took about 2 hours for it to reduce down. These 8+ cups of stuff will eventually be less than one cup of sauce.
Once I had the sauce going, I started the pear relish. This part is super easy. Dice up some ripe pears. The recipe calls for Asian pears, but I just used the Anjou we had.
Lightly brown them.
Then you'll add bourbon and brown sugar. Yum.
These pears were super ripe and juicy. I cooked it down until the liquid was pretty thick.
This stuff is SO good! It would be delightful on pork chops. My little helper supervised as she ate her dinner.
"More please, Mom."
Next I formed the potato cakes. Use those potatoes you mashed, and just mix in blue cheese and panko bread crumbs, then add some salt and pepper.
Form them into cakes and stick them in the fridge to set.
Frank arrived home, and I pulled out some cheese and crackers for a little appetizer. Have you guys had Humboldt Fog? It's divine! I'm no cheese connoisseur, but it's like blue, goat, and brie all wrapped up in one.
While the sauce was reducing, Frank opened up some gifts.
We bathed the Bean and put her to bed, and finally the sauce was where it needed to be. I strained it into a smaller clean pot and left it to reduce even more. And I started pan frying the potato cakes (after sprinkling them with more panko).
Last, but certainly not least, bring out the duck. Go ahead and preheat your oven to 400F and set a pan on high heat. The breasts I found came frozen, so I thawed them in the fridge the day before.
I patted them dry, then made slits in the layer of fat. That will help the fat render and crisp more evenly. Don't forget to sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Once your pan is screaming hot, place the breasts in, fat side down. My pan was so hot, the breasts even jumped around a bit! The duck has so much fat, it just crisps up. It would take a while to burn these. Once the fat has browned, flip them over.
After 4 minutes or so, drain the fat (keep it for another use!) and pop the pan into your hot oven for just a few more minutes.
The last thing to do for the sauce is whisk in a bit of butter and season with salt and pepper. Next I plated it all up (potato cake, duck, relish, then sauce), and we dug in!
You know I'd love to create a masterpiece dessert, or layered cake, but alas Frank's favorite sweet has only three ingredients: cereal, butter, and marshmallows. I have to admit, they're simple but delicious!
It was a wonderful evening with my favorite guy on earth!
Let me know if you give this meal a shot. Do you guys have any good duck recipes? Is your favorite dessert a childhood treat?
Here's the full recipe from foodnetwork.com. You can print it easily if you follow the link:
Pan Seared Duck with Red Chile Pear Sauce, Bourbon-Brown Sugar Asian Pear Relish and Potato-Blue Cheese Cakes
by Bobby Flay via Food Network
Ingredients
- 4 duck breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Potato-Blue Cheese Cakes, recipe follows
- Red Chile Pear Sauce, recipe follows
- Asian Pear Relish, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Season the duck with salt and pepper on both sides and cook, skin-side down, until golden brown, drain the fat, turn the breast over and continue cooking in the oven to medium-rare doneness, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Place 2 Potato-Blue Cheese Cakes on each plate. Place one duck breast on top of the potato cakes, and drizzle the Red Chile Pear Sauce around the plate and on the ends of the duck breasts. Place a few teaspoons of the Asian Pear Relish on top of each of the duck breasts.
Potato Cakes:
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, plus extra for coating
- 1/2 cup crumbled domestic blue cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Panko crumbs, for dusting
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Combine the potatoes, bread crumbs and blue
cheese in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Form the
mixture into eight 2-inch cakes. Chill in the refrigerator for 30
minutes. Dredge the cakes lightly in more panko crumbs. Heat the oil in
a large saute pan over high heat. Cook the cakes until golden brown on
both sides.
Red Chile Pear Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 whole New Mexican Red chiles
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 pears, peeled, seeded and halved
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Asian Pear Relish:
- 3 Asian pears, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Linking up: At the Picket Fence and Making Lemonade
Are you catchin' what I'm throwin'? Liking what you see? Don't miss a thing...subscribe here or like me on Facebook.



























I've never attempted duck, but that sounds amazing!
ReplyDeleteWoah, you are one sweet wife! And you were able to pull that off with a little one around, too! Love fancy home dinners, you've inspired me to plan one as a surprise for my hubby sometime soon. Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday over on Making Lemonade!
ReplyDelete