Monday, February 27, 2012

Bouquet of Sticks

Well, that's what we're talking about today.  A bouquet of sticks.  I set out to find something in our yard to use as a seasonal bouquet.  Some fallen sticks caught my eye.  The subtle greens and oranges of the moss and lichen growing on the branches were really pretty.


At first I started putting together this big arrangement.

It was way too big, though, so I broke the branches down farther and wrapped them with a strip of burlap.

I stood them in our foyer in this cool little brass and copper tray I found at a thrift store.   (The brass monkey and solid copper tray were also thrifting finds.  The weight value of that copper is way more than what I paid for it....love that!)



Then I decided the burlap wasn't quite right.  I changed it to this happy green and white striped ribbon and added a few St. Patty's trinkets I picked up at Michaels.




I don't usually get into decorating for holidays other than Christmas.  But, one year ago, on March 17th, our little Elsie B came into the world.  So, St. Patrick's day has quite a bit of personal meaning for us now.  A few little understated nods to the holiday make us smile.  Speaking of her birthday, I'm working on a series of posts related to it.  The first one will be this Friday.  It's a quite a bit out of my box, so come on back to see what it's all about.

We're not planning on throwing a big 1st birthday bash, which seems to be such the thing to do these days.  We'll just celebrate with a little cake and whoever wants to join us.  Anybody?  Luckily it's Frank's spring break, so we'll be at the beach.  Let's hope for more unseasonably warm weather!

Update: I had to share this before I posted...I just picked up this amazing little brass easel frame at the Salvation Army for a few bucks.  It's solid brass and from Restoration Hardware.  It's kind of lame really, how happy this makes me!

I think it looks lovely with this little vignette.  

And, it's glass on both sides, so I can flip it to look at a different pic!

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Have a great Monday!

Check out my fave link parties:  At the Picket Fence,  Serenity Now, and Making Lemonade

 Don't miss out...subscribe here or like me on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how gorgeous those 'sticks' are! I love the way you displayed them in the tiny tiny brass tray. The emphasis went to the sticks. I liked the burlap bow, but understand that the bright green one helps to emphasize the 'luck of the Irish'! Such a gorgeous display. Little Elsie has grown so much since she joined us earthlings last March 17th. What a year! I love your understated celebration of this Irish holiday! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A fellow stick user. I drive my family nuts cause I am forever using sticks in my decorating. Hey...I live in the woods surrounded by birch. They are free and look good! Plus people pay money for what I get free. Why not? Love your header by the way!

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...