Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cue the Chorus of Angels

Alleluia, Alleluia!   The porch is finished!

Thanks to my talented husband, we've gone from this (a slab of concrete):


to this:



After many many days/weeks/months/years of hard work, last week Frank left me with this beautiful blank slate.

DSC_0089 - 2012-06-07 at 06-48-29

DSC_0090 - 2012-06-07 at 06-48-48

And I have filled it with furniture and items I've been collecting for years now.  I have many tutorials and details to share.  For now let me just take you on a little photo tour...

From our foyer you get a glimpse through the dining room of the brightly colored pillows on the day bed.

DSC_0306 - 2012-06-15 at 15-38-48

DSC_0308 - 2012-06-15 at 15-39-10

DSC_0310 - 2012-06-15 at 15-39-27

Years ago I found these four cane chairs at the Habitat Re-Store, then painted and reupholstered them, thanks to an upholstery class I took.

DSC_0311 - 2012-06-15 at 15-39-33

My dream of a day bed on the porch has come true.  I sewed a zippered cover for the twin mattress, and created deep foam bolsters for the back cushions.  I'll have a tutorial about that coming up.  It really makes the bed feel more like a couch.  Until you want to toss those bolsters off and take a nice afternoon nap!

DSC_0289 - 2012-06-15 at 15-35-11

I picked up this old wood crate from a thrift shop.  Frank made a top for it, and I painted then distressed it.  More on that to come.

DSC_0281 - 2012-06-15 at 15-32-27

DSC_0271 - 2012-06-15 at 10-55-29


DSC_0290 - 2012-06-15 at 15-35-23

Here's our lovely 13 foot pew in all it's glory!  I haven't done a thing to it, other than wipe it down.  I had plans to paint it or strip it, but for now I'm liking it just fine.

DSC_0291 - 2012-06-15 at 15-35-40

DSC_0318 - 2012-06-15 at 15-41-25

DSC_0320 - 2012-06-15 at 15-41-42

 I picked up this old high chair from Craigslist.  We modified it to fit up to the table and I sewed a "strap" to hold our little girl in.  More on that to come.

DSC_0295 - 2012-06-15 at 15-36-48

These pine Windsor chairs were hand-me-downs.  I had plans to paint them too, but I think I'll sit on it (ha!) for a while.  That yellow-y wood usually bothers me, but I don't mind it so much here.  It's similar to a color in those Suzani pillows.

DSC_0296 - 2012-06-15 at 15-37-00

DSC_0301 - 2012-06-15 at 15-37-45

DSC_0299 - 2012-06-15 at 15-37-27

Extra seating waits for guests here.  We hung the folding chairs on bicycle racks.

DSC_0302 - 2012-06-15 at 15-37-57

DSC_0292 - 2012-06-15 at 15-35-54


This table sits right under our kitchen window and is a handy place to set out snacks or a buffet dinner. And my duck finally has a home, holding a dish towel.   Under the table I've stashed a few crates full of toys for EB.

DSC_0293 - 2012-06-15 at 15-36-06

DSC_0304 - 2012-06-15 at 15-38-07

I created a unique light strand out of collected jars.  I've had this vision forever and am so glad to see it come to life!  These lights create the perfect ambiance for a late evening gathering.  I've got a step-by-step for you coming soon.

DSC_0316 - 2012-06-15 at 15-40-41

Frank helped me make this huge chalkboard.  It's long enough so that kids can color below, and adults have space to write above. 

DSC_0286 - 2012-06-15 at 15-34-29

DSC_0326 - 2012-06-15 at 15-43-53

A screw secures a simple tin can to the wall to wrangle chalk and an eraser.

DSC_0324 - 2012-06-15 at 15-43-21

You guys, this space is more than I ever could have dreamed.  From the pale pale blue ceiling to the cool breeze from the ceiling fans, to the bright happy colors, I am totally in love!  I've spent most of my time out here since we finished (I'm stretched on the day bed as I type!).

There are a few more little projects to finish up, but I'm SO glad we have this space to use all summer.  It's still cool enough here in Brevard that we're living with the windows open, so this space truly feels like a new room in our home.  I have a feeling we'll be living out here for a good chunk of the year.  

Here's a look at some memories we've created here so far...

DSC_0160 - 2012-06-07 at 18-41-14

DSC_0067 - 2012-06-10 at 11-42-37

DSC_0152 - 2012-06-13 at 16-54-48

DSC_0330 - 2012-06-15 at 18-56-08

Last night we had a party, and the space worked so well.

DSC_0334 - 2012-06-15 at 18-58-48

DSC_0336 - 2012-06-15 at 18-59-54


DSC_0378 - 2012-06-15 at 22-20-06

DSC_0404 - 2012-06-15 at 22-33-46

Thank you, Frank, for building the porch of my dreams!  You are the best husband I could ever ask for.  Love you!

Thanks for sticking with me through this super long post, y'all!  Don't forget to come back to for future posts on:
  • creating cushions for a day bed
  • distressing new wood to match old wood
  • creating a "strap" to hold a baby in an antique high chair (or any chair, really)
  • how to make a twinkle lights out of collected jars (canning jars work well, too)
  • making a giant chalkboard
This will probably be my last post before Haven.  Can't wait to meet many of you there!  Rhoda is one of the founders of Haven, and I'm linking up today to her fabulous porch party.   Click over to get lots of porch inspiration.  And if you don't already, you should be following along as she fixes up her sweet new-to-her home.  I'm so impressed with what she and her parents have done so far.  The transformation will be incredible, I can already tell!


(For more on our porch progress, click here, here, and here.)

Subscribe here or like me on Facebook to keep up with dC.

17 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!! It's gorgeous! Love, Love, Love it! I love your choice of fabrics too - very much like what I would choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eliesa! I'm glad you like the fabrics!

      Delete
  2. Oh My googles!

    This porch is gorgeous! It provides a large room of many possibilities. Your candid photos of the party are lovely and show how comfortable everyone is while engaging. Love the idea that someone is playing the guitar while others are relaxed with their feet up and some are munching at the table. The extra chair storage is not only smart but perfect (as the Amish do when they put things away). I adore the pink/green/yellow floral fabrics used with the black/white as a contrast. Only you, Cate, can see these combinations!

    One of my favorite things is the screen placed in the apex of the triangle created by the roof. The little lights glowing from all of the recycled jars from good foods just adds more ambiance to the space and brings memories of tasty times. You have a splendid back yard.

    The pass-through from the kitchen is GREAT! You had the opportunity to remove the screens from the kitchen windows! How lovely! Remember our time at Ocracoke in 2001 on the little fisherman's cottage on Silver Lake? A favorite of mine was the screen-less windows into the porch were great because we used them as a pass-through and positioned our CD player there.

    The chalk board is a great idea and the recessed lighting and ceiling fans are just over the moon, Frank! You are indeed an artist and very much appreciated by your immediate family and all of your friends I'm sure. I am so thankful to know you and commend you on your incredible job well done!

    I look forward to seeing the end result in person and offering to paint anything necessary, if needed!

    Your grateful Mom/Mother-in-law,

    Lisa (Annie) aka Nona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Mom! You're so tuned in to the details! Can't wait for you to come enjoy it with us! The window pass through is so convenient.

      Delete
  3. HOOOOOLLLLLYYYYY CRAP Cate! This is outrageous. Nonstop gorgeousness. I could spend hours in that daybed, chillaxin' with a novel and some lemonade. Beautiful! LOVING IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! Lemonade...great idea! I'll have to make up a batch!

      Delete
  4. Cate, you and Frank are AMAZING! What you both have created is absolutely breathtaking. I love every single thing you did with the space. You two are such an inspiration! Now taking an upholstery class is on my list of things to do... Double high fives from me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I learned so much at the upholstery class. Now I know why reupholstering is so expensive...it's tough, time-consuming work, but so rewarding!

      Delete
  5. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!! Love every last detail. What a great family space you've created. Did I mention I love it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet compliments! It is definitely prime family space. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  6. that.is.awesome! you guys have done a great job, wish we lived closer so we could come see it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch is absolutely wonderful! And to think that your husband built it! You have done a great job with the decor. I especially love the pew and I have two of those cane chairs that I picked up at a Habit Restore too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great space to hangout relax gather with friend, etc. Love all the colors lights and the hanging folding chairs...oh my side! From building it to decorating it...y'all done a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a warm and welcoming space! I really love those white chairs. :) Hope we get to meet at Haven this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cate, I just added this porch on my Christmas list. I hope the husband gets the message. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um seriously!! Angels indeed! It looks GREAT Cate and I'm so so so happy for you. I would list everything I like but that would mean listing *each and every thing in the room*. SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Can't wait to see the tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so inspiring! Remembered meeting you at Haven, so I had to check out your blog. I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I would truly love to hear from you! I read each comment and take them to heart. Let me know what you think, or if you have questions. Thanks so much for visiting! (FYI, your comment may not appear immediately.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...